What do I believe?

 Growing up in Utah, never serving a mission, I really didn't get asked much about my religion. I didn't have to think much about what I believe or try to explain it to anybody. I had a simple testimony of my religion and that got me through tough times.  
Since moving here, working, making friends that aren't of my same religion, flying back and forth from Wisconsin to Utah several times, and my parents being called as mission presidents, I have had several opportunities to talk to people about what I believe and answer questions. Some questions (how many wives does your husband have) are hilarious to me! Some questions (do you wear special underwear) have caught me off guard but have given me a chance to explain some of my belief system.
I decided, mostly for my own benefit but also for some of those who have asked questions, to answer questions I have been asked and to explain what we, as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, believe. 
First of all, some of the most popular and funny questions I get are about polygamy. We do not practice polygamy. A hundred fifty years ago there were some members who did, but it is not the case anymore. Some polygamist groups share our beliefs, but they are not recognized as members of our faith. 
Another question I have heard is "Are you Christian?" Absolutely! We are "The Church of Jesus Christ." We believe that he is the son of our Heavenly Father and that he was a perfect man who died on the cross so that we can repent and return to live with Him, our father, and our families after we die. 
One day, at lunch with my coworkers, the question "do you wear special underwear?" came up. Totally caught me off guard but I love that they were comfortable enough around me to ask! Yes, we wear what are called garments. We wear them as a protection and a reminder of covenants we make in the temple. Here is a video that the church produced to explain the purpose of garments: https://www.lds.org/church/news/church-produces-video-on-sacred-nature-and-purpose-of-temple-garments?lang=eng

What do I believe as a "Mormon?"
We believe in the Bible. We also believe in the Book of Mormon, an account of Jesus's ministry and the people on the American continents. We believe that in the 1800s, a man by the name of Joseph Smith, was led to the plates with those records on them and was given power to translate them. That being said, another misconception is that we worship Joseph Smith. Nope. I am extremely grateful for him, but we do not worship him! 
I believe in following the Word of Wisdom, which means I don't smoke, drink alcohol or drink coffee. 
My favorite of all of our beliefs is that families are forever. Because of Christ's Atomement for us and because I was sealed to my husband in the temple, and my parents were sealed to each other in the temple, we will all be together after this life. Knowing that gives me so much happiness! I love knowing that, even though her time on Earth was short, I will have eternities to get to know my niece Logan! 
That's what I thought of for now, but if you have any other questions or if you heard something you aren't sure if it is true or not, ask! I am not shy about my religion and I am definitely not ashamed of it! I am proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Update on Rube-ster

Ruby's Surgery